So, what should you do after a slip and fall at a restaurant, grocery store, a neighbor’s house, a gas station, or any other business? Keith B. French Law who is a slip and fall lawyer is here to help with the following simple steps you may take to help an attorney handle your claim.
- Take pictures and videos of the scene where you fell and of any injuries. You may use your cell phone to record the scene. Remember, the environment in which you fell will be cleaned or repaired. You must preserve your own evidence.
- If you fell at a place of business, ask for the name of the nearest employee, especially if they witnessed the accident. Note the name of any manager on duty as well.
- Get contact information from anybody who witnessed your fall.
- Demand that you fill out an accident report right away. Get copies of the accident report before you leave.
- Get medical help immediately. Be detailed about how your injuries occurred.
- Call an attorney near you for help.
You may hear a lot of advice from people who care about you telling you what you should do after a slip and fall. Those people likely mean well, but you need an experienced personal injury attorney to advise you in order to max out your claim.
Here is some knowledge of common mistakes people should avoid when they have a slip and fall claim; these things are just as important to the protection of legal recovery as the steps listed above. To protect your claim, please read the following carefully to avoid any mishaps:
- Do not discuss your injuries with anyone.
- Do not apologize to anyone.
- Do not diminish your injuries to anyone.
- Do not ignore your injuries.
- Do not make any recorded statements or talk to the insurance company without a lawyer.
- Do not accept the first offer to settle.
- Do not sign any documents until you speak to a personal injury attorney.
- Do not attempt to settle your claim without an experienced personal injury attorney.
If you have been the victim of a slip and fall accident, contact an experienced attorney near you for immediate help with your case.